Cantar-X2 new features
Contact Aaton for X1 to X2 upgrades
- Play&Rec: records live audio while playing-back pre-recorded sounds; overdubs cued dialog tracks.
- WordSync: sample-rate syncing of paralleled recorders
- Differential Delays: up to 85ms@48kHz on analog inputs.
- Ethernet TCP/IP: communication with Mac & PC laptops, allowing realtime control by Grand-Arcan.
- Recording and playback to and from shock resistant and sealed 2.5" internal FireWire connected hard drive. Stores the sound of a complete film production.
- Simultaneous 8 track recording on internal hard drive or flash memory, and external FireWire connected HDD. The 8 tracks can be either 6 digital fader controlled tracks plus 2 tracks receiving either the mixdown, or direct inputs.
- FAT32 formatting allows for up to 127GB, i.e. up to 60 hours depending on number of tracks and sample rate (up to 96K). The removable internal disk is hot pluggable to PC or Mac workstations (Avid, FCP, Sadie, Fairlight, Pyramix Protools etc.)
- Fast copy to external drives such as HDD and DVD-Ram powered by Cantar through FireWire, or copy to on board CDR/DVD±R/DVD-RAM burner.
- Not using a proprietary format nor compressed files, the Cantar internal hard disk is instantly accessible, through FireWire, from the desktop of a PC or Mac laptop: a quick way to make copies to other medias, to insure TCP/IP internet transmission and to load Cantar software updates.
- AES31 BWF Monophonic tracks for instant use by any computer or mixing console with no de-interleaving nor decompressing treatment.
- Built-in CDR burner delivers ISO 9660 Mono or Poly files (stereo interleaved) for on-the-fly telecine syncing and editing stations.
- 16 and 24 bit, 44.1Khz to 96.096Khz sampling rates in & out. Built-in sample converters allow for any AES source sample-rate.
- 'Working day' based session recording. Eliminates clumsy disk partitioning.
- Management of several projects on the same disk.
- Automatic 'unique identifier' file name generator.
- Circled takes, slate locators, sc&tk Ids etc. are entered from either the Cantar control panel or from a wireless (Bluetooth) connected PDA or external keyboard.
- Metadata (e.g. scene & take & comments, in and out points etc.) is delivered as ALE lists and embedded in the AES31 description field that Avid v11, Xpress-DV and FCP import (see Indaw flow chart)
- Audio files are compatible with the Aaton Keylink (telecine code reader with on the fly audio syncing), and the Aaton InDaw (video post syncing station).
- Nine simultaneous analog inputs on XLRs:
- Five low noise mic preamps with isolation 10dBU very high quality transformers (Zin = 2KOhm each with its own 48V Phantom supply (40mA distributed to the five mics), analog HP filter (60 to 240, -6 and -12 db slope, plus LFA) and analog domain limiter. Two gangable pairs (gain, limiter, and filter).
- Four analog line inputs, G = +15dB, max level +22dB. Zin = 4.4KOhm.
- Eight AES inputs, each pair with its own sample rate converter.
Mixer and outputs
- All 18 inputs can be mixed and routed to:
- One to 8 tracks
- Stereo 1/4" headphone (automatic MS decoding). 65mW (70 Ohm), 140mW (32 Ohm), 560mW (8 Ohm).
- Two symmetrical analog line (XLR-5).
- Two asymmetrical analog wireless IFB (mini-jack).
- Eight AES with sample rate converters
Advances in the field recorder domain
- all routing and physical configurations are memorized and can be recalled.They can also be stored in a PDA or laptop for instant programation of a new machine.
- Built-in, dustproof and waterproof six linear fader mixer (patent pending) for comprehensive 'dynamic' control of the two track mixdown. Individual gain values are stored using XML syntax as a guide for the final sound- mixing stage.
- AutoSlate automatically stamps a TC on the detected clapsticks.
- Ready to print PDF sound-report.
- Dial shapped modulometers with 1 dB increments with peak, clip and limiter-in-action indicators.
- User-selectable ballistics.
- High contrast LCD displays highly visible in direct sunlight. Adjustable back-lighting.
- Swivelling display panel optimizes visibility for shoulder strap and cart.
- 1ppm Tcxo reference internal clock, eight hours before re-jamming.
- Dual Smpte and AatonCode jamming.
- Timecode i/o through Lemo-5.
- Aaton's operating system insures low power operation: 500mA in test with all inputs activated, ultra-fast cold start-up (<5 sec), and fail-safe disk control.
- Two identical on board quick release Aaton batteries (4 pin XLR) insure seamless switchover during recording (NP1s can be used too).
- Depending on the "test-to-record" ratio, one on-board battery set lasts from 10 to 18 hours.
- 1 to 35 second pre-record.
- Immediate playback of the last recorded file.
- Play back scrub, in-points markers and slate markers.
- Softwares and pre-configured routings can be downloaded from Aaton's servers and transmitted to the core OS by FireWire.
- Reference tone and warning generator.
- Open mechanical structure with independant Analog, Digital and Display modules for easy maintenance and - 'anti-obsolescence' - upgrades.
- Wireless Bluetooth link to and from PDAs.
- Housings made of molded aluminium. Waterproof, dustproof faders.
- Dimensions: 326 x 241 x 104 mm.
- Weight 3.2 kg (7.5lbs), without battery.